Saturday, April 14, 2007

Out with the new and in with the old...

So - I got my MINI back from the shop yesterday evening. The damage was a new clutch AND a new gearbox after only 37k miles (luckily all under warantee). I had to drive to Cheltenham today which gave me plenty of time to compare the old-new-MINI with the new-new-MINI that I had been driving for the last 3 days over 700 miles to Cornwall and back. Lets call them 'my MINI' and the 'new MINI' to save confusion...

So, there were several things that impressed and several that dissapointed on the new MINI. We'll start positively...

SUSPENSION: The new MINI has much improved ride and handling. No more crashing over potholes and far more comfort from the rear when you drive over speedbumps. At the same time it remains connected to the road and confidence building. This is the most impressive thing about the new car.

STEERING: This is by far the WORST thing about the new MINI. The steering is detached and heavy. You have to heave it into a corner at which point it then over-powers and runs off with you leaving you to over-correct mid-corner. After 3 days and 700 miles I still could not get it 100% right. When driving straight ahead the steering feels sticky. A slight movement to one side or the other is not corrected when releaseing pressure on the wheel and as such, especially if driving one-handed, you are contsntly correcting the car. It prooved exhausting over a long motorway drive.

ENGINE: A mixed bag here. There is NOTHING below 1,500 rpm leaving you often caught out at roundabouts. Once the revs rise there is a sudden surge of power (almost turbo-like) which continues to the red-line. The best part is a massive increase in fuel economy. My MINI One managed 45mpg on motorways. The new MINI Cooper managed nearly 55mpg! WOW.

STYLING: Well, there are parts I like (the better designed bootspace for example) and parts I hate (the speedo). Overall the car feels far bigger and heavier from inside. The heightened wasteline reduces perceived visability but seems to reduce the road noise by quite a bit.

So, overall a real mix of likes and dislikes. For me my MINI wins the 'overall package' prize but I expect that when the time comes it will not worry to much to change to the newer one. Shame about that speedo though....

No comments: